Defrizal Djamaris holds a law degree from Faculty of Law Padjadjaran University (1999). He started his career as a lawyer in 2000 when he joined a reputable litigation law firm soon after his graduation. After working for a couple of other major and reputable law firms in Jakarta, Defrizal was appointed as a partner at the last law firm he worked with, before he then decided to establish KUDRI & DJAMARIS.
Defrizal was heavily involved in many highprofile cases of the firm for clients from different industries. He had exposures in civil and commercial, criminal, administrative law and unfair competition litigations.
In civil and commercial litigations, he advised and represented national and multinational companies in the following cases:
- A group of Indonesian Conglomerate in the defense of proceedings before the Central Jakarta District Court over the sales of Sugar Group Companies and cancellation of the companies US$ 75,000,000 Loan Agreements.
- A Group of Noteholders from US who holds US$ 106,000,000 of the Bakrie Telecom Pte Ltd US$ 380,000,000 11,500% Guaranteed Senior Notes Due 2015 in a Suspension of Debt Payment Obligation (PKPU) of an Indonesian Telco Company before the Commercial Court of Central Jakarta District Court;
- As co-counsel (based on pro hac vice) representing of a group of Noteholders from US who holds US$ 106,000,000 of the Bakrie Telecom Pte Ltd US$ 380,000,000 11,500% Guaranteed Senior Notes Due 2015 issued by an Indonesian Telco Company in Chapter 15 US Bankruptcy Proceeding before the Southern New York Bankruptcy Court, USA.
- Multinational investment banks from US on the dispute concerning a US$185 million bond issue before Serang District Court brought by a large Indonesian petrochemical company;
- Multinational investment banks on the tort claim brought by subsidiaries of a large Indonesian conglomerate group before the Bengkalis District Court and Kuala Tungkal District Court concerning the cancellation of US$ 500 million and US$ 550 million bond issue;
- A leading national oil and gas company civil case filed by its vendor at Central Jakarta District Court regarding unlawful act on Tank Cleaning Services Agreement with the total claim in amount of USD 28,500,000;
- A major oil and gas company from UK who hold a PSC from Indonesian Government in a dispute filed by local residence at Central Jakarta District Court in relation to the seismic activities
- A US major oil and gas company in the defense of proceedings before the Central Jakarta District Court filed by its contractor concerning the breach of contract of Rig Management Services in amount of US$ 78,000,000;
- Representing a large Indonesian Taxi Company in an unlawful act claim regarding shareholders dispute before the South Jakarta District Court.
- Many more
In the national and international arbitration forum, Mr. Djamaris advised and represented national and multinational companies in the following cases:
- A US oil company operating in Indonesia under PSC in dispute in BANI Arbitration Center relating to Tanker Charter Party Dispute;
- An Indonesian company in an arbitration under SIAC Rules in Singapore concerning shareholders agreement of a joint venture bank company in Indonesia;
- An Indonesian Company as investor as well as contractor in Geothermal Power Plant Development in BANI Arbitration Center on the dispute of USD 488,000,000 Geothermal Power Plant Development Contract;
- An Indonesian Group Company against its foreign counterpart before an ICC Arbitration proceeding in cooperation with Wong Partnership LLP Law Firm in Singapore on a USD 100,000,000.00 Land Lease Agreement in developing oil storage complex project in Batam island;
Defrizal Djamaris also experienced to appear before the Southern New York Bankruptcy Court United States of America as the Co-Counsel in representing a group of US Noteholders based on Pro Hac Vice Determination to give testimony in the Chapter 15 proceeding filed by an Indonesian telecommunication company in 2019.
Defrizal Djamaris also had experience in handling criminal case at any level of proceeding, starting from investigation, prosecution and examination before the court. He was a team member of one of highprofile corruption case involved a former Indonesian Ministry in 2002 on the misuse of Indonesian Logistics’ fund. He was also the defense lawyer of Mr. Bambang Widjajanto (former Deputy of Indonesian Corruption Eradication Commission) in 2015 and Prof. Deni Indrayana (former Deputy Ministry of Law and Human Right) in 2015. Mr. Djamaris also advising a France citizen in Bali in an extradition request filed by the Government of Hong Kong to the Indonesian Government.
Defrizal Djamaris is also qualified in the media law issues. He was involved in assisting, advising and representing The Washington Post in the successful negotiation and mediation with the Commander in Chief of the Indonesian Armed Forces (TNI) on the threatened lawsuit from the Commander in Chief toward The Washington Post on a defamation allegation in relation to the publication of an article titled “Indonesia Military Allegedly Talked of Targeting Mine.” He was also intensively engaged in the following high profile media law issues Time Inc., on the tort claim brought by Abu Bakar Ba’asyir before South Jakarta District Court regarding the defamation allegation on the publication of an article in Time Magazine titled “A Confession of Al Qa’edah Allegation”; and tort claim filed by former President of the Republic of Indonesia, Mr. Soeharto.
Defrizal Djamaris also advises and represents clients in unfair business practices litigations. He advised an international investment bank as the petitioner in the proceeding before the Central Jakarta District Court against the Decision of the Business Competition Supervisory Body (KPPU) concerning the tender of sale of 2 (two) Very Large Crude Carrier of PT Pertamina (a state owned petroleum company) and a Malaysian leading satellite television company as the petitioner against the Decision of the Business Competition Supervisory Body (KPPU) concerning monopoly of the English Premier League broadcasting right in 2008.
In the tax litigation, Mr. Djamaris in collaboration with a leading Indonesian tax consultant namely HSC has assisted and represented many national and international clients before the Supreme Court
Defrizal Djamaris is a member and holding advocate license of Indonesian Bar Association (PERADI), Indonesian Advocate Association (AAI), Receiver and Administrator of Bankruptcy License issued by Ministry of Law and Human Right of the Republic of Indonesia. He also holds Capital Market Legal Consultant License issued by Financial Service Authority (OJK) as well as Certified Tax Lawyer issued by Indonesian Tax Lawyer Association (PERJAKIN)
Additionally, he is also actively involved in a several organizations activities as follows:
- Alumni of National Short Course Program of the National Defense Body of the Republic of Indonesia (LEMHANNAS) in partnership with Indonesian Young Entrepreneurs Association of the Republic of Indonesia (HIPMI) in year 2011;
- Vice Chairman and also founders of Jaringan Pengusaha Nasional (JAPNAS) together with 78 Indonesian entrepreneurs in 2015 (2015 – now)
- Head of Law and Good Corporate Government Compartment of National Board Committee of Indonesian Young Entrepreneurs Association of the Republic of Indonesia (HIPMI) for the year 2011-2015;
- Head of Ethical Court of Indonesian Culinary Entrepreneurs Association (APKULINDO) 2020 – 2025;
- Deputy for Research and Development of Board Committee of Indonesian Receiver and Administrator Association (AKPI) for the year 2013 – 2016;
- Secretary General to Indonesian Advocates Association (AAI) of the Central Jakarta Branch for the year 2013 – 2018;
- Head of Legal Aid of the Indonesia Bar Association (PERADI) of the Central Jakarta Branch of year 2018-2023.
- Head of Legal Department of Perkumpulan Bumi Alumni Universitas Padjadjaran 2020 – now.
He speaks Bahasa Indonesia and English.
He can be contacted at: